Assessment Tools and surveys can be an excellent resource to develop yourself, your business or understand your family. JSA Advising uses a variety of personality, leadership, communication, and transition assessments to enhance and support our client’s goals.
Transition Preparation Assessment
The Transition Preparation Assessment (TPA) is a fully automated online assessment designed to assist family business owners navigate through a successful business transition. It combines the latest conceptual models on family business transition with secure technology to enable the delivery of meaningful information. The TPA systematizes information into a customized report that identifies several important variables that family business owners can address prior to engaging in a transition. The tool is ideal for family business owners (or advisors who work with family business owners) who are considering an eventual transition.The tool was developed by JSA Advising, LLC., a firm dedicated to supporting family business owners and their advisors as they move through transition.
What It Is
- A quick and useful online assessment tool that provides family business owners and their advisors a clear and comprehensive framework to initiate important conversations around business transition.
- Easy for business owners to complete. The TPA takes around 15-25 minutes to complete.
- A tool that can enhance knowledge and understanding of the entire family business system.
What It Does
- The TPA identifies the current stage in the business lifecycle.
- It addresses the value of the business (financial, infrastructure, and customer/market share) from an ownership perspective that can enhance dialog between the owner and trusted advisor.
- It highlights the owner’s vision for transition (sell, gift, etc.).
- It analyzes the readiness to change on three primary domains within a family business (ownership, business, and family domains).
Why It’s Valuable
- It educates the owner on the complexity of family business transitions while gathering important information.
- The results are sent to advisor to review with client. Thus enhancing and deepening the advisor’s relationship with the client.
- It can be a great tool to begin strategic conversations about business transitions with owners.
- Starting the preparation for transition process earlier and with more information can enhance success and reduce the current 70% failure rate for family business transitions.
- It provides a holistic, three-domain family business framework that allows advisors to get a better picture of how to best support their clients.
How It Works
- The advisor sends JSA Advising (JSchatz@JSAadvising.com) the Name and Email of the client they would like to complete the TPA.
- Within 1 to 2 business days, JSA Advising will send out a TPA email with instructions and a link to the business owner (the advisor will be copied on this email).
- The business owner clicks on the link and follows the instructions to complete the convenient 15-25 minute assessment in the privacy of their own home or office.
- JSA Advising then analyzes the information and embeds it into a customized PDF report.
- The report is emailed to the advisor who submitted the request.
- The advisor can review the information with a client to supplement their own services and products.
- If additional resources are required, JSA Advising can offer a list of service providers who can support the entire family business system.
Assessments for Businesses
Assessment Tools and Surveys can be an excellent resource to develop your business more efficiently and effectively. JSA Advising uses assessments to enhance and support three different areas.
1) Selection of Employees.
Employee wages and benefits can be the single greatest cost to an organization. Hiring the wrong person for the wrong position can create a big set-back in an organizations growth. Therefore, many businesses are turning to personality, intelligence, competency, communication, and/or leadership assessments that can help identify the right candidate for the job.
2) Development of Leaders, Managers and Teams
Giving your top people the tools and resources to develop their managerial/leadership skills is a good idea. Many leaders have strengths and limitations in their leadership styles. Building on one’s strengths and creating a strategy to develop or work around the limitations can benefit any organization. JSA offers the following assessments to help build more effective leaders/managers.
3) To Assist with Transitions
One of the best things an organization can do to protect its long term growth and sustainability is to prepare for significant transitions that may occur. One of the most common reasons privately held or family owned businesses fail occurs around the transition of leadership from one generation to the next. Having a game plan and getting key players communicating and on the same page earlier in the process can significantly reduce conflict down the road. JSA Advising, LLC offers the following
Assessments for Families
A fundamental construct of a happy families is health. When families are at their best, they report that they are healthy physically, mentally, spiritually, and relationally. Having good clear communication and expectations at home (within the family unit) can go a long ways in finding more optimal performance at work. JSA Advising, LLC utilizes its knowledge in family systems theory to support both families and business leaders.
Process Communication Model (PCM)
The PCM is an internationally acclaimed language-based personality and communication model developed by Dr. Taibi Kahler. We employ PCM for Families and Ownership groups to better understand each other’s communication styles, psychological motivators and predictable distress patterns. The better we understand each other’s style, the great harmony we will find in the group. We use this tool to teach families and owners to more effectively communicate with others, while drawing on their strengths.
Strengths Finder 2.0:
Based on a 40-year study of human strengths, Gallup created a language of the 34 most common talents and developed the Clifton StrengthsFinder assessment to help people discover and describe these talents. In 2001, the initial version of this assessment was included with the bestselling management book Now, Discover Your Strengths. The discussion quickly moved beyond the management audience of this book. The goal was to start a global conversation about what’s right with people. JSA Advising utilizes this tool to begin important conversations around your individual and collective strengths within a family.
Work/Life Values Checklist
Identify your families most important values in work and life. Help your family better understand themselves and make more informed decisions about their preferred work environment. This 38-item online tool takes just 15 minutes.
Research is proving time and time again that Emotional Intelligence (EI) is one of the most critical factors in predicting overall well-being and success, more so than IQ or physical skill. Contrary to traditional measures of intellectual intelligence, emotional intelligence is a skill that is not absolute or static – it can change and be developed over time and isn’t something we’re “stuck with” throughout our lives. The EQi 2.0 can lead to dramatic increases in performance, interaction with others, and leadership potential.
The DISC model is a behavioral–not personality–assessment, measuring four traits: dominance, influence, steadiness, and compliance. It works with different personalities to change behaviors in order to improve performance and develop self-awareness.